Every week I’m simply delighted by the variety and depth of musical offerings in Dayton, and this week is no exception. If you love singing, jazz, classical, international music, country, funk, jams, hard rock, metal or punk, keep reading to find the show that’s just for you!
Friday the 13th
- If you love to sing, definitely head over to Yellow Cab for Sing! Dayton for a night of pop harmony with your fellow Dayton singers! Event runs from 6-9pm (early enough to stop by other shows happening afterward!) $5 cover. You can learn more about this event on a recent episode of Gem City Podcast here.
- To celebrate 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, the Dayton Philharmonic presents “Mendelssohn and the Reformation” as part of their Masterworks Series. Acclaimed pianist Angela Cheng will be featured for her dazzling interpretations of Choral Fantasy and the Capriccio Brillant. Performances are on both Friday and Saturday evenings at 8pm at the Schuster Center.
- In the Friday the 13th mood? There’s a couple good shows for you! Check out Dip Spit, Yikes a Band, and Lazy Ass Destroyer at Oregon Express. They are prepared to both rock and scare your pants off! 10pm- 1am. $5 cover. 21+
- Over at Rockstar Pro Arena you can rock out to The Big Bad (WV), The Nothing (Cincinnati), GeeGee’s Punk Rock All Stars and The Transylvania Hellhounds. Plus there’s a costume contest too! 7pm doors at 1106 E. Third St. All ages (beer available w/ID). $8 at the door.
- There’s a sweet line up of up-and-coming alternative bands over at Blind Bob’s, featuring Swimmimg with Sharks, Neo-American Pioneers, and Party, Man. $5 cover. Excellent! Show at 10pm. 21+
- Speaking of up-and-coming, you can’t go wrong with the grooves from The Johnson Treatment. Local act Rite of Venus kicks the night off at Hannah’s on Ludlow. 10pm – 1am. $5 at the door.
- If you’re into a jazzier mood, stop over to South Park Tavern to check out the duo Head in the Sand. Free show! 10pm.
- Up for an eclectic show of new acts? The Marcels, Adele (not that one) and Bird Brain Breakfast are performing at Jimmie’s Ladder 11. 18+ 10pm. $5 cover.
- Out by Wright State, K99.1 FM features free unplugged country event starring Morgan Evans at W.O. Wrights. Show at 6pm. Free and open to the public! No tickets needed. All ages welcome. Get more details here.
Saturday October 14th
- It’s time again for the fall Yellow Spring Street Fair! Always a fun time for all ages, and of course, music is very much included along with the wonderful vendors, artists and food. See the schedule below for stages and bands. Music runs from 12pm – 7pm.
- Still in Yellow Springs in the evening? Stop by Speaking Suns CD Release party at Peach’s Grill. This event also kicks off their fall tour, which is super exciting. They are also hosting special guest bands from Athens Slackluster and Slut Castle. Music starts at 10 pm. Free Show!
- More festivities are happening downtown too! Ye Olde Yellow Cabaret XII is lots of fun, especially with the “This is Halloween” theme this go around. This eclectic event is held at Yellow Cab Tavern and runs from 7pm – 1:30am. Bands include: Ford Theatre Reunion, Curse of Cassandra, and DJ V-Ral, along with sideshow acts, bellydance, bulesque, aerial arts, fire dancing and hooping. Vendors and a food truck will also be on site. Tickets are $15 pre-sale and $20 at the door.
- Jimmie’s Ladder 11 has a funky and fabulous night in store with Sharon Lane, Mainline Funk, and Krunktown Boogie. Music starts at 10pm. And it’s a free show! Get on out and get funky!
- The Devil’s Cut (Lansing, MI) is in town and ready to rock out! They are joined by Scarecrow Sideshow at Blind Bob’s. $7 cover. 21+
- Blues man Doug Hart is celebrating his 39th birthday for the 9th time at Tumbleweed! (Ha! I think I’m going to start doing that too!) Join in the fun starting at 9pm.
- Another great group, Charlie Tipton & Friends are performing at Oregon Express. They remind me of straight up rock’n’roll that Tom Petty played – may he rest in peace! 9:30pm $5 cover. 21+
- The Devil Doves are performing tunes from their newest CD at Trolley Stop. They are known for their energetic live performances and creative songwriting. Sounds perfect for a great night out at Trolley! 9:30pm $5 cover. 21+
- Last but certainly not least, Music Connection Dayton is hosting another great show in The Dayton Underground Series 2017 on Saturday at Courtyard Lounge in Englewood. This installment is entitled “Pushing Boundaries” which features 3 edgy, progressive, Dayton bands: Stella’s Demise, Others by No One, Monocle. Please remember to bring gently-used clothing donations for Helping the Homeless Dayton Ohio Making A Difference! Doors 8pm. Show 9pm. 21+ w/ ID. Admission $10. VIP Series passes: $40 available at www.musicconnectiondayton.com
Sunday October 15th
- Country fans are in for a real treat with Mary Chapin Carpenter performing at the Victoria Theatre. Show 7:30pm. Tickets start at $39.50 with additional service fees. Get tickets at ticketcenterstage.com or 937-228-3630.
- Sunday night just leveled up big time with Jasper the Colossal, Fea (San Antonio), and rockabilly faves The Loveless at Blind Bob’s. $5 cover. 9pm. 21+
Tuesday October 17th
- The Miami Valley Community Concert Association presents Pavlo in concert. He’s an internationally renowned, award winning singer / songwriter who performs what he calls “Mediterranean music” – a blend of Greek, flamenco, Latin, and even Balkan flavors, wrapped in contemporary pop. Performance is at Centerville High School Performing Arts Center. 7:30-10pm. Tickets are $30, students $5. For more information on tickets, click here.
- Punk fans, Jimmie’s Ladder 11 is hosting a fun show with City Mouse (Lansing, MI – pop-punk), Negative Protein (Dayton hard core punk), and Limon Chique (Dayton lo-goth/nu-grunge). $5 cover. Doors 9pm. Show 10pm.
And as always, thank you for supporting live music!
Your Dayton Music Insider,
Note to Readers: The information above is for October 13th-17th, 2017. If I don’t list a price, I’m not sure what it is. Typically cover charges for local shows are $5. Click hyperlinks to find out more about the bands, venues, and events, including start times, directions, and ticket availability. Keep up with my live music adventures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Enjoy the show!