When live music is at its best, the exchange of energy between musicians and fans is palpable. That interplay creates a special bond between the bands and the audience. It’s the main reason I, like many others, are so passionate about live music.
John “Chubby” Howard and Sarah Vesey were two Dayton music fans who knew exactly the type of passion I’m referring to. These two bright spots in our music scene were tragically taken from us way too soon. This post is dedicated to their memory. May we all dance and smile to the music this weekend, with these lovely souls in our hearts and memories!
Last weekend musicians gathered to help Chubby, and this weekend they play in Sarah’s memory. There are also tons of incredible tribute shows happening as well! Think we’ll all be feeling the love this weekend!
Tip: This summer, I’m putting weekend long festivals at the end of the blog. Be sure to scroll all the way down for info on weekend-long parties!
Thursday July 6th
- The StayStrongforSarah Benefit is happening all evening on Thursday July 6th at Jimmie’s Ladder 11. Music starts early at 7pm, during the dinner hour. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Sarah’s family & young son. There is no cover till 10pm, so swing on out for some great acoustic tunes from Sway. After 10pm, the $5 cover is absolutely worth price of admission to see Cheezcake, Subterranean, and the Ohio All-Stars. Can’t say enough about how amazing the music and vibe is going to be! Please stop out and support this very sweet show.
- Over at Riverscape Metro Park you can enjoy The Kim Kelly Orchestra for free! Bring a lawn chair and your dancing shoes for a great night of music! Weather Dependent. 7:30-9:30pm. All ages show.
- Beatles fans! Head over to Springfield to check out The McCartney Experience at Springfield Summer Arts Festival. This is said to be one of the premiere McCartney experiences – and it’s a free show! Win-win! Again, bring a lawn chair, and make yourself at home. Show from 6-8pm. All ages show.
Friday July 7th
- If you have an early start to your Friday, and you’re south of town, stop by Treasure Aisles Flea Market conveniently located off of 75, for Music at the Market, a family friendly event. There will be an inflatable bounce houses for the kids, food trucks, raffles, and best of all, a live performance by Lost on Iddings. All ages show.
- Another lovely way to start off the evening is with a Wine Tasting with Duante Beddingfield & the Randy Villars Trio at the Emporium in Yellow Springs. The tastings are always a fun, informal, laid-back setting that’s great even for wine novices. The band will be performing their unique jazz renditions of familiar standards and modern pop songs. A truly lovely evening all around! 7-10pm. 21+
- Late night, there are lots of great shows in the Oregon District, including the Paige Farewell And Pelatonia Fundraiser at Oregon Express with Duderus, Dead Tuth, and Franx. This will be Paige Beller’s last show with punk band Duderus, and they want to send her off right. So please join them in this fun-filled send off! Proceeds of this performance will be donated to the James Cancer Hospital at the OSU Medical Center. 9pm-1am. $5 cover. 21+
- Paleface, an out-of-town band that feels like a hometown band, is back in Dayton performing at Blind Bob’s. This treasured indie rock duo reminds me of The White Stripes. Super cool couple that rocks your socks off! They will be performing with special guest Ben Stalets. 9:30pm 21+ $5 cover.
- Local rock’a’billy fans love Cherry Lee & the Hot Rod Hounds. Always extra special when they’re throwing it down at The Trolley Stop. Fun! 9:30pm 21+ $5 cover.
- One of my favorite guitarists in the region, John Gentry Jr. is live at Hannah’s on Saturday night. Be prepared to get funky! 9pm-12am.
- Reggae fans are in for a real treat this weekend! Head over to Jimmie’s Ladder 11 for the Dayton Reggae Party Seefari and his band, with special guests Da Squad, are gonna lively up night with some rootsy reggae vibes! $7 cover. 10 pm. 21+
- Hank’s Pub is hosting a hard rock / punk night with Voice of God, Derailed, The Brain Dead Slobs, Robbie Deezle, and JaM/R. Music at 8:00. Doors: 7:00. No cover! All ages.
Saturday July 8th
- Looking for daytime fun? Head over to the Kickin’ Chicken Wing Fest at Fraze Pavilion. If you like bold food, rockin’ music and a hearty party, then you’ll love this festival. Event and music starts at 3pm through 10pm. Bring a lawn chair. Sorry, no pets please. Free!
Classic rock lovers will be heading up north for two rock legends with the Hyper Space Tour: Boston with Joan Jett & The Blackhearts at Rose Music Center. Tickets start at $72+ – which includes parking. Ticketmaster fees applicable. Doors 6:30pm. Show 7:30pm.
- Late night downtown, don’t miss the LadyFest Benefit at Blind Bob’s. This event combos asa birthday party for organizer and prolific local musician, Paige Beller. Paige will be DJ at this dance party / fundraiser. No cover charge however there is a $3 suggested donation at the door. Raffle tickets will also be sold. Be generous, please! LadyFest rocks! 9pm. 21+
- Another good one is going on down the street, with Novagold with special guests Bribing Senators at The Trolley Stop. Ryan Jones will open up with an acoustic set with NOVAGOLD following after. Bribing Senators will be rockin’ the night out! 9:30pm. $5 cover. 21+
- Punk fans will be lovin the line-up at Oregon Express with The Raging Nathans, YardBoss, SKRT, and Negative Protein. Definitely a cool kid kind of show! 9pm – 2am. $5 cover. 21+
- Jam band fans will be boogin’ down to the Grateful Dead tribute band Arrows of Neon, performing at Hannah’s downtown on Ludlow. They are high energy and super tight! Always a fun time! 9pm music starts. Free show! 21+
- The Somersaults are celebrating their CD release at South Park Tavern. Very special guest John Dubuc. 9pm. No cover!
- Definitely worth a trip up to Vandalia for a great night at Oscar’s Bar. On the bill for the evening: The show will kick off at 8pm with Age Nowhere making their debut. Neo-American Pioneers will be next, then Todd the Fox will keep things rolling, followed by The Typical Johnsons to close out the night. Lots of great local music! 8pm-2am. $5 cover. 21+
- Feeling funky? Get down to Vibe & Direct at One Eyed Jack’s across from Wright State. Free show! 2 full sets of music! Starts at 10pm. 18+
- Yellow Springs is rockin’ out to McGuff and the Dumpster Fires and ThunderTaker at Peach’s Grill. Newcomer Ellis Omega kicks off the night! 9pm. 21+
- The Order of Elijah and From Hollow Veins, along with 4 local opening bands, kick off a night of metal and hard rock at Hank’s Pub. The event starts at 5pm to fit in all these bands!
- Springsteen fans, get on down to see Bruce in the USA, a traveling tribute to the Boss, down at JD Legends. Organizers promise a high-energy musical experience is a note-perfect and visually accurate recreation of a Bruce Springsteen & The E St. Band show. 6:30-11:30pm. Ticket information here. Admission is free up to $45 for VIP option.
- Another tribute band in the area is The Purple Xperience at Springfield Summer Arts Festival. It’s free! Bring your lawn chair and enjoy! Will certainly be a fun time reliving Prince. I know we are all certainly missing him. 8-10pm. All ages.
- If you’re not going to make it out to Springfield, but the idea of a Prince show, swing on by Victoria Theatre for Reel Late showing of Purple Rain. Oh yeah! Individual tickets are available at the Victoria Theatre Box Office one hour prior to showtime for $6. Free Popcorn & Cash Bar. Showtime 10:30pm. Before the show, at 10pm, check out live music from c.wright’s Parlour Tricks. Playing a fiery brand of instrumental guitar-wrangling that gets toes tappin’, heads turnin’ and ears a’buzzin’ — this is the new wave of boogie!
- Looking for a fun weekend festival? Willy Town Music Festival is a major throw down! This year the festivities are at Zane Shawnee Caverns & South Wind Park in Bellefountaine, OH, and will have a Thursday early-bird addition. Ticket prices start at $50. Find out more about ticketing options here. Tons of great bands national and regional bands are performing from jam bands to hard rock to outlaw country. Bands include: Glostik Willy, Ekoostik Hookah, Green Jelly, Jahman Brahman, Subterranean, Downtown Brown, Ekoostik Willy, Jaik Willis, Eyeris Wide and many more!
- Country fans surely already have their plans set to come north for the annual Country Concert in Fort Loramie. It offers 3 fun and music filled days, camping with friends and family, coolers are welcome, Come on up for 1, 2, or all 3 days! The all star line-up includes Blake Shelton, Jake Owen, Florida Georgia Line, Justin Moore, Chase Rice, Brett Eldredge and many more! For the full schedule and info on tickets, click here.
As always, thank you for supporting live music!
Your Dayton Music Insider,
Note to Readers: The information above is for July 6th-8th 2017. If I don’t list a price, I’m not sure what it is. Typically cover charges for local concerts are $5. Please click the hyperlinks to find out more about the bands, venues, and events, including start times, directions, and ticket availability. Keep up with my live music adventures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Enjoy the show!