This is Lioness’s debut show, so it’s a pretty big deal! Members of this Dayton supergroup include members of Captain of Industry, Motel Beds, Me & Mountains, Shesus, SITBOW, Vinyl Dies, Pig Eyed Jackson and John Lardinois of GNSB. A true mix of styles and major substance.
Please show them some love Saturday, August 13! They’ll all be performing at Jimmie’s Ladder for just a $5 cover. Doors at 8 p.m. Enjoy!
For other shows and fun times this weekend, keep reading…
Friday, August 12
- Ready to cool off by the river? This evening Five Rivers Metro Parks presents another installment in their R&B Hot Summer Music Series. Get your grove on with Premium Blend Music at Riverscape Metro Park from 7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Free and all ages!
- Afterwards, wheel on down the street to catch the Todd the Fox Trio at Brixx Ice House from 9 p.m. to midnight. Enjoy drinks, food & the sounds of this fantastic home grown group! They are truly entertaining!
- Nashville’s Ethan Samuel Brown and Leah Blevins are bringing their lovely voices and souls to South Park Tavern. These singer-songwriters are up and coming and on a mini-tour, so catch them while you can! Music typically starts around 9:30 p.m.
- When Particles Collide (from Bangor, ME), SKRT, Dirty Socialites are all performing at Jimmie’s Ladder 11 to celebrate the release of Critics and Syntax, Dirty Socialites’ album. Help them celebrate! Just $5 door. Music from 10 p.m.-1 a.m.
If you’re in the Oregon District, there are of course lots of live music options, including:
- Blues with the Doug Hart Band at Trolley Stop
- Funk with Freakquency at Blind Bob’s
- Country with Mack McKenzie with Barstool Brown at Tumbleweed Connection
- Americana style rock from Tim Gebard & The Hit Men at Oregon Express
- All have a $5 cover and music usually starts around 9:30 p.m.
- 3DMentional’s highly anticipated Green Velvet show is at Masque tonight! The uber-popular DJ is in town and performing with other regional DJs. This is going to be a bangin’ night, so if you’re an EDM fan, this is a “don’t miss” event! Doors at 9 p.m. and runs untill 4 a.m. Tickets are $24.80 online, VIP are $60.80. VIP tables are also available. For more information click here.
Saturday, August 13
Bowie fans will want to make an evening excursion to Fraze Pavilion for Classic Albums Live: David Bowie “The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” tribute performance. Tickets are only $5, although all tickets go up $5 day of show. Either way its a cheap date night! Show starts at 8 p.m.
Folk music fans, I encourage you to check out Wild Mountain Berries, Moriah Lawson, and Goodnight Goodnight at Oregon Express this evening. All 3 acts are outstanding! Just $5 at the door. Music from 10 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
I have to say one of the most fun events of the weekend surely has to be the the Reel Late showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show at Victoria Theatre with C. Wright’s Parlour Tricks. What a hoot! Costumes are encouraged! Enjoy free popcorn and a cash bar with a movie-themed drink special. There will also be Rocky Horror Survival Kits for sale for $5. (NOTE: If you don’t know why you need a survival kit, you are probably a Rocky Horror “virgin.” Don’t worry, we were all there once! Hehe). Music starts at 10 p.m., and film starts at 10:30 p.m. Individual tickets $6.
Out in Yellow Springs, you can catch Speaking Suns at Peach’s Grill. There is no cover and music gets going at 10 p.m. 18+
Sunday, August 14
Sunday Funday is extra special with a great daytime show at Yellow Cab Tavern, called Sweet Sweet Cherry-ty, a benefit show for a Dayton music fan. I love when musicians do this! Artists include: Zane and The Sway, The 1984 Draft, Goodnight Goodnight, McGuff and The Dumpster Fires, Tod Weidner, Kris N, and music in between bands provided by Dustie Pitsick. $5 admission. Event runs from 2-7 p.m.
There is also a fun free concert this evening at Stubbs Park in Centerville with hometown beauty Alexis Gomez of American Idol fame. She’s debuting new music, and has planned some fun surprises! 30 VIP tickets are available for just $20, which includes a private meet and greet and other goodies. This would be great for tweens out there too! Music is from 6:45-9 p.m.
Hip-Hop music showcase is going down with C-Money, Cooley, Faith Baby, RG Stoner, Mix Fox, and Wickedtones at Blind Bob’s. Music starts at 10 p.m. $5 cover.
Reminder: There is always a Sunday Night Jazz Jam at Jazz Central. 8-11:30 p.m. Jazz fans, I have not forgotten you!
As always, thank you for supporting live music!
Your Dayton Music Insider,
Note to Readers: The information above is for Aug 12-14th, 2016. If I don’t list a price, I’m not sure what the price is. Typically cover charges for local shows are $5. Please click the hyperlinks to find out more about the bands, venues and events, including start times, directions, and ticket availability. Check out the latest shows I’m promoting@theVenusChild. You can keep up with my adventures on Instagram here or follow me on Twitter @LibbyBallengee.Cheers!